The Other Side of Everything

making all our lives easier, more fulfilling, lovelier journeys

Archives

Written on June 2, 2005, and categorized as Secret and Invisible.
You can follow comments through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and trackbacks are closed.

Let’s begin at the end, and the gloriously gory Christian expectation that for saved souls, death is a kind of sleep. All the faithful believers, at the end of time, at the return of the Lord, will rise up again and be made flesh.

Wikipedia says:

“At the moment of Jesus’ death tombs open and many who are dead waken. After Jesus’ resurrection many of the dead saints come out of their tombs and enter Jerusalem, where they appear to many, according to the gospel of Matthew… Most Christian churches teach that there will be a general resurrection of the dead at “the end of time”.”

One of the scary postulations about GW Bush is that he is a religious fundamentalist who actually believes that screwing up in the middle east and maybe having a nice nuclear war is helping to bring about Jesus’ return, and some high up members of the military seem to concur. General Jerry Boykin, deputy undersecretary of defense for intelligence, in charge of facilitating intelligence information for Donald Rumsfeld’s “High Value Target Plan,” aimed at hunting down Saddam Hussein, Osama bin Laden, and Mullah Omar:

“George Bush was not elected by a majority of the voters in the United States, he was appointed by God.”

That’s a worrying thought. Just when you thought it was safe to expire into nothingness, that you had your one-way ticket off this troubled planet, that you were finally free from all the crap these destructive ego-maniac crazies can throw at you, all you have to do is believe, and you (and they) will all be back at the dinner table. Damn. Can I be sure I have elimated that last shred of conditioning? I can feel a song coming on

Ezekiel connected dem dry bones
Ezekiel connected dem dry bones
Ezekiel connected dem dry bones
Now, hear the word of the Lord.

The toe bone connected to the foot bone,
The foot bone connected to the heel bone,
The heel bone connected to the ankle bone,
The ankle bone connected to the leg bone,
The leg bone connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone connected to the hip bone,
The hip bone connected to the back bone,
The back bone connected to the shoulder bone,
The back bone connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone connected to the head bone,
Now, hear the word of the Lord!

Dem bones, dem bones gonna walk aroun’,
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk aroun’
Dem bones, dem bones, gonna walk aroun’
Now, hear the word of the Lord!

You might want to read

• All People That On Earth Do Dwell I'm really not very religious, but I sometimes receive messages from my subconscious to look up some parts of the Christian creed. All English schoolchildren were sloppily indoctrinated […]
  • St Margaret’s Vestry We had to put on quite ridiculous robes. A long red cassock that reached to the ground and took some practise to walk without tripping, a white surplice which hung about the shoulders like […]
  • Tits Out For Jesus The enterprising Wing Tai company, a leading retailer, has been stocking a line of cosmetics including "Virtuous vanilla" lip balm and a "Get Tight with Christ" hand and body cream, […]
Written by .
More about the author.

This thing has 11 Comments

1. Blog ho
    Posted 2 June, 2005 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

death and politics. very nice.

2. SeizeTheNite
    Posted 2 June, 2005 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

If they are going to sharing the big dinner table in the sky with me…I think I’d prefer somewhere a bit further south.

3. geokker
    Posted 3 June, 2005 at 7:32 am | Permalink

I’m definitely getting that T-shirt printed now: ‘Oblivion Rocks!’.

Along with ‘Everything I know I learnt from Melvyn Bragg’.

4. PA
    Posted 3 June, 2005 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

This is a complete misrepresentation of Bush’s beliefs.

Relatively few evangelicals think that tribulation will have anything to do with nuclear war. That was said a lot before the fall of communism when “the kingdom of the north” was thoguht to be the USSR by theologians… but upon further study and understanding of Daniel’s context most now think that has nothing to do with anyhting north of Turkey.

5. arthur decko
    Posted 5 June, 2005 at 4:36 am | Permalink

as far as death goes, i am kinda looking forward to seeing what comes next. i hope the weather is nice, and it would be cool if i didn’t have to brush my teeth.

for what it’s worth, i will be back shortly.

6. Doug
    Posted 5 June, 2005 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

That was quite a riff. Way to ride the tangents!

7. RuKsaK
    Posted 6 June, 2005 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Death scares the shit out of me and often keeps me awake at night – talking about George Bush induces the opposite – maybe God did choose him. Could God, like love, be blind though?

8. Blog ho
    Posted 6 June, 2005 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

and to actually die while writing a topic of death…perhaps irony would have been a better topic.

9. Jay
    Posted 6 June, 2005 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait until George Bush dies!

10. PA
    Posted 10 June, 2005 at 12:11 am | Permalink

Deek, this is a reply to your comment about my comment, if that make sense.

You said, “One of the scary postulations about GW Bush is that he is a religious fundamentalist who actually believes that screwing up in the middle east and maybe having a nice nuclear war is helping to bring about Jesus’ return, and some high up members of the military seem to concur.”

First of all. A religious fundamentalist and an evangelical Christian are two completely different expressions of Christianity. In the States these are two seperate things. To call an evangelical a fundamentalist is an insult… even though our roots lie in fundamentalism. Long story, both groups identified with the same books published in 1911 called “The Fundamentals” edited by R.A. Torrey.

The two sides parted company in the 1940s as those who wanted to reach the world became evangelicals (ala Billy Graham) and those who wanted to hide from the world kept calling themselves fundamentalists.

Bush is an evangelical… and a pretty moderate one too. Are there some whack jobs that think Armageddon, as John writes about in Revelation 17-19 will result in a nuclear war? Yeah, but like I said… they still think the Communists are gonna do that too.

So, your statement is wrong on 2 fronts.

1. Bush, as an evangelical, holds to whats called a pretribulational rapture. This means that if God, who initiates tribulation according the Revelation, decides that the 7 years are beginning He will remove all believers from the earth to be with Jesus. So Bush wouldn’t want to start a war… he’d be gone according to his beliefs!

2. Revelation 18-19 clearly teach that the final battle will not be between men but that Christ will do the battling against the forces of Satan. If you read that you’ll see that the men and angels dress for battle but they don’t do anything. Jesus does it all.

So, I hope that clears up what I meant by my comment. I’d love to answer more questions.

11. PA
    Posted 10 June, 2005 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

deek… again, thanks for commenting back.

As I said before. My biggest beef about your comment was that you said Bush is a fundamentalist.

As far as this general, you will have to forgive my ignorance because I’ve never heard of him. If I misread your statement, please accept my apology.

Comments are currently closed